PokornyPundit

Your source for opinion on news, politics, science, religion, media, and culture

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Summer movies so far

Just thought I'd share a few opinions on flicks I've seen so far...

Mission Impossible 3: Very good opening, it definitely grabbed my attention from the start. Overall I'd say this blows MI2 out of the water (not a huge fan of the John Woo style I guess). Explosions and plot twists galore, this movie moves along at a good pace, with some pretty good acting by Tom Cruise I must say. The only beef I remember having was the villain... I felt Philip Seymour Hoffman could have used more development. Plus I'm not sure I can ever quite get his image as "Dusty" from Twister out of my head.

Da Vinci Code: Not a particularly great film adaptation of the hugely popular novel, but it gets the job done. I can't say I was a huge fan of Tom Hanks in it though... his acting seemed a bit stiff and boring. Overall it was entertaining, with some pretty nice cinematography. Not to mention Audrey Tautou as Sophie Neveu was pretty darn cute.

X-3: I'll admit I was fairly amazed at how packed the theater was on opening night. I guess I hadn't quite realized how popular the X-Men franchise has become in recent years (I used to think I was the only kid that used to watch the Saturday morning cartoon version on Fox). In any case, there are some pretty spectacular visual effects in this movie, with a number of plot twists I hadn't expected as well. I remember things started off a bit slow, with the pace only picking up about half way through the movie. But overall it is very satisfying to all of those X-geeks out there who thrive off of seeing more and more classic comic book characters being portrayed on screen (Juggernaut, Beast, and Angel to name a few). Jean Grey's transformation into the "Pheonix" was darn creepy too... I'd say she adds a good "unstable" element to the film (that one character that makes you want to sink down into your seat every time she comes on). The number of deaths in the movie was shocking as well, but I swear I won't give away any more than that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home